Smiling depression is indeed a very dangerous thing that a lot of people have been practicing all their life. People who look happy on the outside do not mean that they are living a joyous life on the inside as well. There are some of them that are struggling to keep their composure just to survive. This means that they are having smiling depression.
According to the Healthline website, this type of depression leads to someone dealing with depression on the inside but appears to be so happy on the outside. It is indeed diagnosed as major depressive disorder with atypical features.
People Having Smiling Depression Might Feel This On The Inside
- Feeling sad for a very long time.
- Have difference in weight, appetite, and also the urge to sleep.
- Tired all the time.
- Always feeling hopeless, have low self-worth, and lack confidence.
- Once enjoy doing some things but do not feel interested in doing them anymore.
People Having Smiling Depression Might Look Like This On The Outside
- An individual that is high-spirited and also active.
- Have a great job, a joyous family, and perfect life.
- A happy, optimistic and cheerful person.
Reasons Why They Are Behaving Like That
- Assume that they are weak if they show any signs of depression.
- People might think that they are a burden if they express their true feeling.
- Feel that they do not have depression because they think that they are ‘fine’.
- Do not validate their own feeling because they always think that they are other people that have it worse.
- Always think that the world would be a better place if they do not exist.
It is usually hard to diagnose this kind of depression early. It is because the individual itself feels that they are fine just the way they are. That is why it is so important for everyone to validate their own feeling and express them all.