News

Elon Musk Deal To Buy Twitter In Danger: Report

Twitter shares slid late Thursday after a Washington Post report that the $44 billion deal of Elon Musk to buy the social media giant is in danger.

The world’s richest man that is Elon Musk has previously expressed misgivings and even implied he could walk away from the deal over concerns about what he believes is an abundance of fake accounts.

According to the Post, however, Musk has been unable to pin down the percentage of Twitter accounts that are not genuine, despite being given access to internal data.

While Musk has already made comments putting his commitment to the deal in doubt, the latest report cited an anonymous source saying his team is preparing for a “change in direction.”

Twitter shares, which were already trading lower than the price offered by Musk, sank about four percent on the news in after-market trades.

“The Twitter soap opera is clearly coming to some sort of finale over the coming months as Musk makes the decision to stay (with a lower price) or go,” Wedbush analyst Dan Ives said in a note to investors.

“The Twitter deal has clearly caused chaos at Twitter.”

Ives expected Musk to reveal details of his fake account concerns in the coming weeks.

During the Qatar Economic Forum last month, Musk said that his Twitter purchase remained held up by “very significant” questions about the number of fake users on the social network.

“So we are still awaiting resolution on that matter and that is a very significant matter,” the Tesla car and SpaceX exploration chief said via a video link to the gathering.

Twitter executives have held firm that less than five percent of accounts are bogus, with Musk saying he believes the number to be much higher.

Musk said there were also questions about Twitter’s debt.

The chances of Musk buying Twitter as originally negotiated are slim, Ives said.

Wedbush set the chance of the deal happening at a lower price at 60 percent, leaving open the door to the possibility Musk will try to walk away with only paying a required $1 billion breakup fee.

Sources: AFP

Adib Mohd

Recent Posts

Not Your Typical City: Puma And Manchester City Unveil The 26/27 Home Kit

Kuala Lumpur, 22 May 2026 — Malaysian fans of Manchester City will be among the… Read More

7 hours ago

Lazada 6.6 Super Wow Sale Returns with “The Real Catch” Helping Malaysians Buy Better, Not Just Cheaper

KUALA LUMPUR, 21 MAY 2026 – As Malaysians navigate a more cautious spending environment these… Read More

8 hours ago

Epic Escapes: School Holiday Fun Starts Here at Pavilion Bukit Jalil

Looking for fun ways to keep the kids entertained during the school holidays? Pavilion Bukit… Read More

8 hours ago

IZIPIZI Celebrates First Anniversary In Malaysia With The Launch Of ALEGRIA Capsule Collection

KUALA LUMPUR, 20 MAY 2026 - Marking its first anniversary in Malaysia, Parisian eyewear brand… Read More

9 hours ago

Huawei And Universiti Malaya Advancing Smarter Preventive Health Innovation Through Wearable Research

KUALA LUMPUR, 21 MAY 2026 - Huawei Consumer Business Group (CBG) Malaysia and Universiti Malaya… Read More

12 hours ago

LG Electronics Brings KOREA’S Housewarming Culture To Southheast Asia

SINGAPORE, May 21, 2026 — LG Electronics (LG) today announced the launch of “Housewarming by… Read More

13 hours ago

This website uses cookies.