Health

Brazil’s Tropical Island Reopen To Tourists Only Who’ve Had Covid-19

One of the islands in Brazil has opened its doors to tourists once again since the pandemic strike, but a new rule has been applied for this time. Only those who have contracted and recovered from coronavirus are allowed to visit the Brazillian island.

An archipelago called Fernando de Noronha has reopened five months since the coronavirus lockdown. The island is situated 354km off Brazil’s northeastern coast closed in March to prevent the spread of coronavirus.

The region will reopen on September 1 with controls to “guarantee everyone’s protection”.

Official revealed on the Instagram account that the island will be opened in phases.

The post said, “In this first phase, only tourists who have already had Covid-19 will be allowed to disembark.”

New precautions will be required those who visiting to present a positive test result that is at least 20 days old.

The archipelago’s administrator, Guilherme Rocha, said “In this first stage of reopening, only tourists who have already had COVID and have recovered and are immune to the disease will be authorized [since] they can neither transmit it nor be infected again.”

“We are reopening responsibly, with caution and without hurry,” when speaking at a news conference.

“Hurry is the enemy of life … We can’t do everything at once,” he added.

Fernando de Noronha was forced to shut its doors on March 21, the time the pandemic started all around the world.

This comes as Brit tourist hotspot beaches on the Canary Islands have been closed after a second coronavirus wave hit the region.

After suffered its first major Covid-19 outbreak in several months, beaches on the island of El Hierro were shutdown. The island had been one of the very few places to escape the harrowing pandemic that left 10s of thousands of Spaniards on the mainland dead. Instead, only a handful of cases were recorded and there were no deaths recorded. But, the second wave is having a dramatic effect with at least 40 people being struck down by the virus which forcing the local government to take some actions.

Source: Daily Star, Instagram Noronha

Adib Mohd

Recent Posts

Togetherness Takes Centre Stage This Gawai at Kampung Annah Rais

ANNAH RAIS, 25 May 2026 – While many see Gawai as a single festive moment,… Read More

14 hours ago

UNIQLO Celebrates Customers with the Return of the Thank You Festival, Featuring Special Prices and Special Gifts

May 18, 2026, Kuala Lumpur – Global apparel retailer UNIQLO today announces the return of… Read More

14 hours ago

Cool Winter Escapes In Melbourne And Regional Victoria

Wrap up warm and get ready for Melbourne and regional Victoria's most magical winter yet!… Read More

14 hours ago

Taiwan IP Expo Opens New Ground for Taiwan–Malaysia Creative Partnerships

PETALING JAYA, 20 MAY 2026 — The 2026 Taiwan IP Expo in Malaysia, organised by… Read More

15 hours ago

10th Huawei ICT Competition APAC Winners Crowned at ASEAN Headquarters

Indonesia, Jakarta, May 14 2026 - The 10th Huawei ICT Competition APAC Finals and Awards Ceremony… Read More

1 day ago

An Intimate Discourse Exploring Fashion, Craftsmanship, And The Modern World Of Khoon Hooi

Kuala Lumpur, 15 May 2026 — Celebrated Malaysian fashion house Khoon Hooi welcomed media and… Read More

2 days ago

This website uses cookies.